Valve plans to choose two Major organizers for 2023 by the end of June. According to HLTV.org, this was revealed in an email sent by the CS:GO developer to the top tournament organizers.
Valve will not forsake its previously announced intentions to hold Majors in May and November 2023, according to the source. Simultaneously, the firm will entrust the selected operators with hosting regional qualifiers, such as RMRs and open qualifiers, which are expected to take place 2-3 weeks before the Majors.
The set of requirements for potential Major organizers has been supplemented. Some points are quoted by HLTV.org:
- Given the ongoing uncertainty in travel restrictions, we will prioritize events that take place in regions where the TO has previously operated successful events. If possible, please identify a backup venue in case travel restrictions make the original location inaccessible.
- As with previous Major Championships, our primary goal is to identify an event that will provide the greatest entertainment value to existing CS:GO customers, so please be specific when describing the services or features of your event.
Note that in general, we do not weigh heavily on any features that are untested, new, or in development. If you are proposing novel features for your event, consider providing additional detail explaining how those features will be developed and tested, and what alternatives you’ll consider if they cannot be executed as planned.
- The vast majority of spectators for your event will be viewing games through streams. Your proposal should include a distribution plan including the expected streaming platforms, languages available, schedule, etc.
- The event should be in a time zone convenient for a significant proportion of CS:GO customers (CS:GO has two prime times, one at 16:00 CET and one at 21:00 CET).
- To allow us to properly evaluate your proposal, please include a link to footage of events you have run recently that are of comparable production quality to the event you are proposing.
- For both the Major and RMRs, Valve will provide support for the prize pool and players’ travel and accommodation.
PGL was the tournament organizer for the most recent Majors, which took place from May 9 to 22. The second Valve-sponsored tournament in 2022 will take place in early November in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and will be organized by ESL.